read

A Q&A with Denise Rawlings O'Neil '06

By GPS Blog

Denise Rawlings O’Neil, a graduate of the Class of 2006, continued her education at MTSU, where she received her bachelor's degree in nursing. She elected to return to her roots to begin her career as a nurse practitioner and today lives in Chattanooga with her husband and their dog, Prada. During the COVID-19 pandemic, O’Neil took a leap of faith and pursued an additional degree in psychology, so she could give back to her community as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner. Passionate about helping underserved populations, she currently works from home as a telepsych provider for more than 15 clinics in the Middle Tennessee area.  

Q. How did you get into what you’re doing now? Did you always know you wanted to enter the medical field?

A. My first job when I graduated nurse practitioner school was at Moccasin Bend. It was the only place that accepted me, due to my lack of experience. After working there for close to three years, I began to fall in love with psychology. I never thought in a million years I would be doing this type of work or even interested in the mental health field, but I am truly thankful to have such a rewarding career, where I am able to help the underserved population and make a difference every day. 

Q. Why are you passionate about what you do?

A. I am passionate about what I do because many people, especially in my culture, struggle to understand their own personal psychology, and it causes them to be afraid, suppresses them, and limits their capabilities. It is my hope that I can continue to practice and continue to enhance my knowledge in order to break down barriers and stigmas regarding mental health among African Americans.

Q. If you could offer one piece of advice to current GPS students, what would it be? 

A. There are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days, but always remember to enjoy life and enjoy the process while doing it.  

Q. Do you stay in touch with your classmates? What impact have they had on your life?

A. Yes, of course I do! I am still in contact with a lot of my classmates, and I still have the same best friends that I had when I was in sixth grade. I see them very often and talk to a few of them almost every day. I am truly thankful that I met them at GPS and was able to continue the same relationships through college and after. 

Q. Can you point to anything that GPS did to prepare you for your future?

A. GPS prepared me for college, my career, and even life. GPS taught me all the things! I was taught time management skills, self-confidence, writing skills, discipline, consistency, and perseverance. If you graduate from GPS, you WILL be successful in anything you do. 

Q. What is a GPS girl to you? 

A. A GPS girl is strong, has no limits, and is kind, curious, powerful, known, and ready for anything that life throws her way. 

Q. What is your proudest accomplishment thus far? 

A. My proudest accomplishment thus far is graduating with a psychology degree in nursing during the pandemic. At the start of the pandemic, all of my classes and clinics were put on hold due to the uncertainty of the world. At one point, I thought about just dropping the classes and finishing up when things got better, but I stayed the course, persevered, and was able to complete all of my courses and graduate in August 2020. 

Q. Are there any quotes that really resonate with you/guide you in your daily pursuits? 

A. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”—Maya Angelou

Q. Why is Black History Month important to you, and why is it important that we acknowledge and honor the month here at GPS? 

A. Black History Month is important to me and should be acknowledged and honored during the month of February at GPS because it gives the students an opportunity to understand Black history that goes beyond stories of racism and slavery and actually spotlights Black achievement. Black History Month is important because it also provides context for how we got to where we are today and gives a deeper understanding of the issues we still face in this country.

Read Other GPS Alumnae Stories

Tags: GPS Alumnae in Action