read

A Q&A with India Green '13

By GPS Blog

India Green graduated from GPS in 2013 and went on to attend The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. While in college, she developed a passion for giving back to the community, particularly working to help improve the lives of women and children. Mixed with her love of STEM, this passion for caring for others led her to her next chapter—graduate school at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine-Georgia Campus. After graduating with her master’s degree in biomedical science in 2019, she began working at Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University as a clinical research coordinator for breast cancer studies. 

Q. How did you get into what you’re doing now? Did you always know you wanted to enter the medical field?

A. Growing up I always knew that I belonged in the medical field, but I didn’t exactly know which role fit me best. While in graduate school, I learned about all of the various positions in healthcare. I’ve always had a passion for working with women!

Q. What was your favorite tradition at GPS? Why? 

A. My favorite tradition was May Day. I love that the event celebrates women and incorporates all of the grades. Some of my best GPS memories are participating in the various May Day dances with my friends. 

Q. What’s the best piece of advice you got during your time at GPS? Do you remember from whom it came?  

A. Mrs. Katherine Betts would always encourage me to be confident, poised, and educated. She always made me feel comfortable expressing who I am!  

Q. If you could offer one piece of advice to current GPS students, what would it be? 

A. My piece of advice would be to follow your dreams. Life is too short to spend time doing something that you do not love and aren’t passionate about.  

Q. Do you stay in touch with your classmates? What impact have they had on your life?

A. Yes! I am so thankful for the friendships that I formed at GPS. To this day, I am still best friends with girls I met in middle school. I’m so grateful for them! They always inspire me, encourage me, love me, give me advice, and accept me for who I am! 

Q. Can you point to anything that GPS did to prepare you for your future? 

A. GPS prepared me in so many ways! While there I developed strong writing skills, organization, time management, and determination. Most importantly, I gained the confidence as a woman to always stand firm in my beliefs and openly voice my opinion. 

Q. What is your proudest accomplishment thus far? 

A. My proudest accomplishment thus far is working in my current role at Emory. I’m grateful that I’m working on a team hoping to find cures for various types of breast cancer!  

Q. Are there any quotes that really resonate with you/guide you in your daily pursuits? 

A. “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be helpful. Be empowered.”—Michelle Obama 

Q. Why is Black History Month important to you, and why is it important that we acknowledge and honor the month here at GPS? 

A. Black History Month is important to me because it is a much needed and well-deserved time of the year that focuses on African American achievements and acknowledges the troubling times our ancestors went through to establish the foundation of America. This month should be acknowledged and honored at GPS so that the girls realize the importance of African American history. More importantly, African American students at GPS should see people in history showcased who look like them.

Read Other GPS Alumnae Stories

Tags: GPS Alumnae in Action