read

A Q&A with Kimberly Reid '13

By GPS Blog

After graduating from GPS in 2013, Kimberly Reid attended the University of Memphis, where she studied biomedical engineering. She returned home to Chattanooga and earned a Master of Public Health degree from UTC, which she says could not have been more perfectly timed, as she graduated at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. She worked with local organizations performing contact tracing and creating community testing guides before accepting the COVID Coordinator and Middle School Cheerleading positions at GPS in August 2020. She now serves as the Business Office & Financial Aid Coordinator and the Assistant Varsity Cheerleading Coach. 

Q. Why are you passionate about what you do?

A. I believe in the positive impact GPS has on its students and community members. As it did for me, I am confident that GPS will continue to pour into its students so they may grow into thoughtful and assured young adults who then pour into their communities. I am grateful to be a part of the effort to make the GPS experience more accessible for families and serve GPS employees through my work with the business office. 

Q. What was your favorite tradition at GPS? Why?

A. I imagine this was not an official GPS tradition, but one of my favorite practices was birthday cake day at lunch. One day per month, Chef Tom would roll out a huge sheet cake and yell, "All the students with *Insert Month* birthdays, pleaseeee standddd upppp"! While those students were standing, the entire lunchroom would sing to them and cheer. It was always fun to celebrate our peers, find out who our birthday buddies were, and eat cake!

As an alum and current employee of GPS, I find myself enjoying the tradition of Chapel Talks more and more. Chapel Talks are such a special way for the GPS community to get to know our seniors a little better and honor them as they wrap up their final year as GPS students. 

Q. What’s the best piece of advice you got during your time at GPS? Do you remember who it came from?

A. During an AP 2-D Art and Design class, Ms. Smartt very briefly reminded us that, “Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.” While this was said in the context of over-manipulating reality in Photoshop, I have carried this advice with me over time, and it has become a part of my moral compass.

Q. Do you stay in touch with your classmates? What impact have they had on your life?

A. Yes! Some of my best friends today are women who walked the GPS halls with me in middle and high school. My graduating class was fortunate enough to be fairly diverse, which I believe helped us create healthy intra- and interracial relationships with peers. It was also helpful for me to know there were other students who could relate to my experiences as a student of color in a predominantly white institution. 

I am grateful to GPS for connecting me with my classmates (of all races) and allowing us to foster friendships I know will last a lifetime. My GPS friends are constant sources of affirmation, encouragement to grow in new spaces, and love. 

Q. What is your proudest accomplishment thus far?

A. My proudest accomplishment is being nominated for and receiving the Most Outstanding Graduate Student award while earning my Master of Public Health degree. This accomplishment is special to me because it is an honor my mother also received while she was a graduate engineering student at UTC. 

Q. Are there any quotes that really resonate with you/guide you in your daily pursuits?

A. Last school year, I came across a poem on social media that I think about almost daily. In this fast-paced world with growing expectations, I occasionally struggle with not feeling enough or feeling that I am not doing enough. This poem by Sophie Diener reminds me to give myself grace when I am growing and allow myself to be proud when I achieve a goal.   

Here is an excerpt from Sophie's poem, Be Kind to Yourself:

"...And like the trees teach us that it's okay to lose our leaves as seasons change and then come back to life, I hope that nature teaches us to look at ourselves and be kind. I hope that we don't dim or shrink or fold into spaces far too tight. Yes, today I hope you look at yourself and you are kind.”— Sophie Diener, Poet

Q. Why is Black History Month Important to you and why is it important that we acknowledge and honor the month here at GPS?

A. Understanding and counteracting today’s challenges with race and injustice requires us to acknowledge the history behind them. We often get a more focused glimpse into this during Black History Month. Black History Month is also important for highlighting the triumphant Black stories. Each year, I learn something new about Black heroes and their contributions to our country. In my opinion, showcasing how Black stories intertwine with the stories of people from other groups helps build a sense of connectedness. Acknowledging Black History Month at GPS supports all students in being culturally competent members of society.  

Read Other GPS Alumnae Stories

Tags: GPS Alumnae in Action