read

A Q&A with Dr. Tameika Turner-Noland ’92

By GPS Blog
After graduating from GPS in 1992, Dr. Tameika Turner-Noland attended Vanderbilt University, where she studied human and organizational development. After graduating Cum Laude, she continued her education at the University of Kentucky, earning her PhD in clinical psychology. She completed her predoctoral residency through a joint program with William S. Hall Psychiatric Institute and the University of South Carolina. For the past 15 years, she has worked in private practice as a licensed clinical psychologist. As the owner and operator of Noland Psychological Services, PLLC, she provides treatment services to women, children, and families.

Q. What do you remember fondly about your GPS experience?
A. As I ponder my GPS experience, I reflect on times of laughter, sisterhood, incredible academic challenges, and teacher support. I enjoyed school and thrived in an environment that valued and encouraged academic achievement, personal responsibility, and social connectedness. I enjoyed being presented with academic quests to be conquered. At the time, I was unaware of the abysmal statistics regarding girls’ performance in STEM-related classes. In my environment, any math or science question posed was going to be answered by a girl! Although I never learned to apply a full face of makeup, I did leave GPS with a strong sense of self and preparedness for the challenges of higher education as well as the ability to change a tire. From my GPS teachers, I learned to celebrate the things that made me unique, to be confident in my answers, and to laugh at myself whenever I had the chance. 

Q. How did your teachers impact your time at GPS?
A. GPS teachers found creative ways to shape, without squelching, attributes necessary for my future success. Although I never actually received a demerit during my time at GPS, Mr. Frattini definitely threatened to issue one on several occasions due to my loquaciousness in his class. Though not a crowd pleaser at the time, I have been able to channel my love for talking and connecting with others into a thriving psychology practice. I will always treasure the environment that taught me the beauty and strength of womanhood. 

Q. What advice do you have for current students?
A. My advice to current students would be to enjoy the ride. Of course, success requires hard work and persistence that is not always fun, but there are amazing memories to be made and friendships to cherish along the way. 

Q. Are there any quotes that really resonate with you/guide you in your daily pursuits? 
A. My senior quote still resonates with me to this day:

“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
 I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”—Robert Frost

Read Other GPS Alumnae Stories

Tags: GPS Alumnae in Action