read

A Q&A with Tommi Paris '02

By GPS Blog

From the Class of 2002, Tommi Paris has cultivated quite a career for herself in the communications arena. She began her trajectory at Volkswagen Chattanooga before moving to Atlanta to work in the same capacity in the natural gas industry. From there, she transitioned into workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion when her company began to focus its efforts more intentionally and was able to learn from an incredible leader in the space before he retired. Today, she serves as Senior Vice President of DEI Strategy for a global marketing services collective. In addition, she also officiates in various basketball leagues, including the NBA D-League and the NCAA. Following a sabbatical during COVID, she’s eager to return to the court later this year.

Q. What was your favorite memory at GPS?

A. One of my fondest memories of GPS was feeling like I was a member of a trusting community. As seniors, we were able to leave for lunch and enjoy time away from campus during the school day. Lockers weren’t bolted closed for fear of someone stealing, and we freely left our bags tucked away while at practice. It’s a small thing, but memorable for me. I appreciated feeling that I could trust my community and that they could trust me. 

Q. If you could offer one piece of advice to current GPS students, what would it be? 

A. Don’t conflate achievements with worthiness. 

Recognize your privileges. Use your positions of privilege to lift others. Personally, as an able-bodied person, I realize that the world was designed with someone like me in mind, for the most part. Over the years, I’ve challenged myself to leave my comfort zone to serve and support the disability community, not out of pity, but for the empowerment of all. 

Q. What is a GPS girl to you? 

A. A GPS girl is one who learns to become her full self, taking the time to intentionally unfold into who she desires to be. She’s someone of integrity who uses her superpowers for good; a girl who never betrays herself or her truth. She’s a leader and a follower; a life-long learner. She embraces herself fully, makes mistakes, celebrates wins, and creates spaces for others to do the same. 

Q. Are there any experiences or memories from your time at GPS that really stick out? 

A. I will always have such fond memories of winning back-to-back state championships in basketball. 

Q. Why is Black History Month important to you and why is it important that we acknowledge and honor the month here at GPS? 

A. Black history is American history. It belongs to everyone who calls America home. Its purpose is to help us understand where we’ve been, how it’s informing who we are today, and help us evolve to a better tomorrow for all. Learning from our history can change us, if we allow it, and for the better. Black History isn’t about being performative, but transformative; and not to be confined to the shortest month in the calendar year. Black history gives us an opportunity to understand the complexities of our past so we aren’t doomed to repeat it, to paraphrase Winston Churchill.

Read Other GPS Alumnae Stories

Tags: GPS Alumnae in Action